Wednesday 14 October 2009

DAY 187
I am a 3-digit number. My tens' digit is 5 more than my ones' digit. My hundreds' digit is 8 less than my tens' digit. Who am I?

Answer:

194

DAY 188
You go shopping. At the first store you spend 1/2 of your money plus $5. At the second store your spend 1/2 of what is left plus $4. At the third and final store you spend half of what remains plus $3, after which you have $5 left. How much money did you start with?

Answer:

$90........Let X = the amount of money you have as you enter each store. Working backward, at the third store, X - X/2 - 3 = 5. Solving this, you had $16 as you entered the third store. This means you left the second store with $16. X - X/2 - 4 = 16, you had $40 as you entered the second store. This means you left the first store with $40. X - X/2 - 5 = 40, you had $90 as you entered the first store.

No comments:

Post a Comment